Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Give Your Body a Fighting Chance

When you hear the word diet, what usually comes to mind? I know for me I always associated it with fads or losing weight. There is always some new "diet" or way to get skinny quick scheme that usually ends up doing more harm than good. This is the accurate definition of "Diet": (a particular selection of food, especially as designed or prescribed to improve a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease.) When it becomes more about a lifestyle and less about being thin or losing wieght, thats when it sticks. Losing weight is just an added bonus!

My closest and dearest friend has always been so health conscious. Even in High School she always had the healthiest lunches. I would be eating fries with ranch dressing and she would have her salad and a water. I used to poke fun at her constantly. Well let me just say that I now enjoy me some salad and water!

How did I get there? Well it didn't happen over night. I have been aware for years that my diet was not what it should be. I love me some sugar and have a hard time living without my soda! But I realize that in order for my body and mind to become healthy and function the way it was meant to, I must put the right things into my body.

After my diagnosis in 2009 I became acutley aware that something needed to change. I made some changes, but didn't stick with it the way I should have. Here's the thing that we have to realize it can't just be a fad or a temporary thing. If we want to get serious about being healthy and feeling good, it MUST become a way of life. I don't clame to have it all figured out. And there are some days when I sneek a little....just a little!

There are many different ideas out there regarding the right way, and the right things to eat. I have done my research and have taken ideas from a couple different diets. One is called the "Gerson Therapy" and the other is "The Hallejuah Diet". Both of these are centered around the idea that in the begining we were given specific instructions as to what to eat. If you need a reference, here you go (Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.Genisis 1:29) I'm sorry to say, but there is nothing in there about Cinnabons and Ho Ho's:) You have no idea how tough it is for me to walk past the sweets isle in the store. All I want to do is rip those twinkies off of the shelf. But I speak from experience when I say this, once we start eating the fruits and veggies and things that we were meant to eat, our bodies tend not to crave that stuff. Some of us can eat horribly all our lives and be lucky enough to be in great health. Others like myself can't get away with that. And I've come to realize that there are more important things in life than getting my sugar fix:)

Like I said previously, I am a work in progress and don't always make it through the day without caving just a bit. But I would say that I am well on my way to getting where I need to be. I'm rather proud of myself and hope to convince my husband that is the best way to acheive optimal health. He actually called me the other night with the hopes that I would talk him out of going to Wendys after work and just have a salad. He did good. Drove right past Wendys and came home with a salad! It's not an easy change. For some it has to be gradual. But for me it had to be more drastic. I have all intentions of making this a way of life for me and my family. The saying is true "If you want to get good out, you must put good in".

1 comment:

  1. When you struggle with the sweets, don't beat yourself up. Baby steps will work, too. Try juicing celery or blending it with apples and maybe a little baby spinach and drinking it. It really curbs your appetite for sweets if done regularly. You're doing great!!

    ReplyDelete