Monday, May 23, 2011

Back From My Hiatus

In the last several days I have experienced highs and lows that you would not believe. Since my last post on Wed I have seen some rough moments.

Thursday morning I went in to receive my first Chemo Infusion. The most dreaded of all my treatments! I had a calm feeling and everything seemed to be going OK. My Dr. even suggested a Cold Cap to me. I had never heard of this prior. It basically works to constrict the blood vessels in the scalp to detour the chemo from destroying the hair follicle. They have had quite a bit of success with it. My infusion only lasts for 30 min (thank goodness) so I thought, what could it possibly hurt? If I lose my hair, I lose it. But it wont be for lack of trying! Positive thinking! So we placed this 22 degree (helmet) on my head and began the infusion. The nurses in the treatment room are some of the most kind and compassionate women I have ever met! They assured me that I would do just fine. Once my nurse got me all hooked up, she turns to me and says OK your going. I had a brief moment of panic! I'm sure Brian thought oh my here we go lol! My head immediately went into my hands and I could feel myself losing it. But just as quickly as it came, it was gone. Just an unbelievable peace came over me. 3o minutes was up before I knew it and I was free to go!

I felt great that night and all day Friday. Sat, however was a very tough day for me. I had read that the side effects sometimes don't creep in until day 2 or 3. Well it was day 2 and I was feeling as though I had been run over in the middle of the night! My back, hips and legs felt like I was carrying 5 ton bricks on each leg. SO painful and hard to get moving. I suddenly felt like a 90 yr old women. Had quite a bit of tummy pain. But I never did suffer any nausea! Which was honestly my biggest fear. THANK goodness for that! Saturday Brian had planned to take me to the beach. Every hour he would ask, Babe do you feel like going? We never made it. I did good to get out of bed and to the couch all day. Sunday brought a better day. Still stiff and in severe pain, I was able to walk downstairs and eat breakfast. We watched Church online and afterwards, we decided to head to the beach! It was worth it! While Galveston pales in comparison to our pristine Fl beaches, it was still the ocean, and I was sooo happy to be there! Right after we arrived, I got to witness a beautiful thing, the most precious boy with special needs about 14 arrived with his dad. He was so overwhelmed by the pure joy of the ocean! He didn't stop screaming for joy or running from the moment he arrived until they left! So amazing to see! It made my heart smile!

Today brought a whole new day as well. My tummy is feeling much better and my back and leg pain seem to be slowly subsiding. I haven't been able to walk without a limp since Sat. But I feel that by the end of the week, I should be back to myself. All in all if a couple of bad days are all I have to endure the next couple of months each treatment, I think I can handle this. I was so afraid that I would be completely useless and need someone to help me take care of Sam. I may need help for a couple of days, but for the most part, I should have no problem being her mommy and fulling my mommy duties!

I met with my Dr. today who once again shared the good news that she had spoken with my Dr. back home. She was very pleasantly surprised by her conversation with him and so happy to tell us that he would be more than happy to do whatever I needed! So I no longer have to worry about finding a Dr at home to continue my treatment. I felt all along that he would be accommodating! Such a HUGE blessing! I had some blood work done today and I am good to go for my last infusion here on Wed morning. This will just be the gene targeted therapy, not chemo. I will return Thursday morning, and if no problems, I am free to go!!!!!!!! So we are planning on driving home Thursday or Friday! I cant wait to wrap my arms around the most beautiful and precious girl in the world! I have missed her more than I ever thought possible! Sykpe has been such a blessing! But just not the same as a hug!

I hope this brings everyone up to date. I have attached some photos of the clinic and my days to give everyone a little insight to my time here in Houston!


This is as I was receiving my first infusion last Wed.




My Chemo Infusion, with my lovely helmet!



The Clinic



The beautiful garden area downstairs. Very relaxing!




The Beach at Galveston





I found my HAPPY place!

No comments:

Post a Comment